The Creative Me

Fall In Virginia

Fall In Virginia
Visiting Virginia in the fall and the colors so vibrant. I need to leave Florida more often!

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Surviving a Narcissist

A friend shared the following site with me:  http://www.lisaescott.com/
It is about dating a Narcissist. Who me??? Well after reading through the site, I realized I have dated a few. Here I am again asking myself why do I make these choices?
In thinking about that question I realized I have grown. When I see unacceptable behaviour or a few red flags, I pay attention. My radar is switched on, my history books aka journals come out and I begin to write, consider, meditate, share with friends and try to discover what action is needed on my part.
Since I am a pro at reflection on my choices in men I can laugh at myself when I am once again thinking about a situation. I have only been married one time, however engaged to quite a few men. The movie Runaway Bride starring Julia Roberts is one of my favorites. Sometimes I describe myself as commitment phobic, other times I think just terrified of getting hurt.
Then I laugh and say to myself,  sweetie they are not knocking down your door, there is no one in the wings waiting for you to be hot to trot.
As I approach the golden years, the only thing golden being the blond highlights in my hair. I ponder how younger people view us older folk. Do they realize that even though the body looks old, the mind is still young and mentally a teenager inside the old plump, greying haired body. A plucked chin hair the other day was white!
Soooo..... would I accept a narcissist in my life? I truly hope not! I have learned never to say never since fate sometimes makes a fool out of my defiant personality.
The bottom line, no one is perfect, and after reading thru the site, I remembered someone in my life that fit the criteria and at the time quickly ended the relationship. I didn't label him then, but now I can. Narcissist!
I still in my heart hold out hope for Prince Charming to come along.
However, in the meantime, there is a quasi boyfriend in my life, we were once hot lovers and now, well now it is a hug, a laugh, a meal shared, We listen and share our aging experiences, which keeps us laughing a lot. We are both on Plenty of Fish, a free on line dating site. We share our experiences, mostly rejection, from anyone that appears interesting.
We occasionally talk about living together in our old age, a duplex, we say. We know it would be impossible for us to live under the same roof. We are too different and set in our ways. We enjoy spending time together when we are feeling lonely. Do I consider him Narcissistic? A little bit, but then again don't we all have a bit of narcissism in each of us?

No comments:

Post a Comment