The Creative Me

Fall In Virginia

Fall In Virginia
Visiting Virginia in the fall and the colors so vibrant. I need to leave Florida more often!

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Poetry

Hello,
I am sharing a poem I wrote yesterday while Isaac's feeder bands wrought a bit of havoc on the east coast of Florida.  The need to visit the beach and see the ocean was strong. Later upon returning home I wrote this poem. As a child my dad often took me out on stormy days, it was our time, our moments to share the delight of nature.


OCEAN WHISPERS
by Shashana August 27th 2012

The ocean whispered in my ear,
Come visit me, I am majestic today,
My waves are rising like mini skyscrapers,
My whitecaps trying to touch the dark grey sky
I hear the whispers and respond, I am coming,
The drive to the ocean a short one,
Isaac teasing the most mundane things with his gusts of wind,
I stop for a light, to my right, a black dumpster door performs for me
Each burst of wind lifting it, twisting it and then dropping it softly
On this grey day, life is wet, with winds and rain dancing
On the empty roads and only those loving a storm venture out
The beach parking lot has only a few cars,
Three or four people on the deck,  survey the beach;
Surfers probably, I wonder why they aren’t surfing,
I notice a dark blue object near the breaking waves,
A county employee comes to investigate,
Walking slowly and cautiously not sure what it might be,
He returns to say it was a boat that must have carried immigrants,
The coast guard markings let him know, they know,
I decide to get a closer look and walk down the ramp,
Taking off my shoes, wanting to feel the sand under my feet,
The velocity of the wind makes the sand feel like tiny pins hitting my leg
Quickly I walk back, I understand those staying on the board walk.
I breathe deeply and remember times in my childhood
Years ago, I would seek her, get comfort from her,
Feel her spraying my face with salt water,
Visiting storms, part of me and my dad’s adventures
I smile, I am happy the beach whispered for me to visit,
Or maybe it was Dad wanting to remember our special times,
I walk back to the car, but on my way I see a mermaid, it is beautiful
It adorns the wall of the rest rooms and I smile
My visit like so much else in life is about listening to your inner voice
Following your heart and receiving gifts far beyond the ordinary.


No comments:

Post a Comment