The Creative Me

Fall In Virginia

Fall In Virginia
Visiting Virginia in the fall and the colors so vibrant. I need to leave Florida more often!

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Shopping at Goodwill

One of my favorite places to visit is Goodwill on Wednesday's. Seniors get a 25% discount. I usually look at picture frames for my photos. This day, I wandered over to the books. Lord knows, I dont need any more books!!

As I browsed through my eyes found Mind Magic by Marc Lemezma
I always liked Magic books, when I was young a favorite stop with my dad was a Magic Shop in Freeport, NY. The book I held was sadly mistreated.

When you opened the book the inside cover was missing part of the face page along the edge.
This was not a concern,I was interested in the content, which was intact.

Goodwill charges $2.49 for hardbacks .I was sure they would work with me on the price. The cashier, a new face the last few weeks, was unwilling to negotiate. After looking at it, she threw it to the side. Clearly she was not a book lover!
I picked it up and said I want to speak with a manager. Annoyed, she advised me the manager would return in ten minutes. "I'll wait!" Which made her seem to develop an attitude of contempt for me.
I paid for my other items, as the shift manager returned. Before I could talk to her the cashier whispered something, the shift manager looked up and said $1.99.
Did you look at the book? She glanced down, "yes, $1.99". The cashier smirking says "do you want it?" "Not at the moment" and she is ready to dismiss me. "What I do want is my $13 change from the $20 I just gave you."
I decide to see if there is a real manager in the back, a kind looking woman was walking by as I opened the swinging door. She asked if she could help, I showed her the book and she says "that shouldn't be on the shelf in that condition!"
I offer to pay ninety nine cents for it, she smiles and marks it .89 At last, someone who agreed the book was not worth $2.49 or $1.99.
I walk back to the registers. The cashier from earlier, turned to the other cashier and said loudly, "she has a book that is $1.99, that's the price!
What is her problem, I am feeling attacked.
I smile and said "the manager in the back gave it to me for 89 cents." She glares at me like I was a thief or a liar. The shift supervisor proclaims there is no manager in the back and calls me over to her line.
Am I shopping at Goodwill? There is no good will in Goodwill today.
The young shift manager checked me out and I whispered "what is her problem?" as I cocked my head toward the mean spirited cashier. I added "I doubt if you would have made it $1.99 without her whispering to you."
She denied it, but I believe there was some colusion involved in the situation. The cashier overheard my question, and loudly asked "What did you say?" I felt threatened at that moment, she looked like Wonder Woman, tall and strong,I felt like she wanted to hit me. I didn't now Goodwill hired bullies.
Clearly she had some issues with me. This was not the first time she was disrespectful to me. I wondered if it was me or if others had experienced her wrath?
I took her name. After this I will write a letter to Goodwill, include the photos and hopefully they will live up to their name next time I shop there and maybe offer some customer service or anger management classes to the cashier.
Thanks for listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment