The Creative Me

Fall In Virginia

Fall In Virginia
Visiting Virginia in the fall and the colors so vibrant. I need to leave Florida more often!

Friday, January 14, 2011

Another Cold Day in Paradise

Getting out of bed was not easy, I wondered if my heat was working. I turned on the TV while under the covers and they reported warmer today. Temps in the 40's with windchill factor equaling high 30's.  Later today, it will be in the high 50's yippeee! Of course the day I work, will be warm and breezy. My God has a sense of humor.
I do want you to know I did accomplish some things yesterday after writing my post. I went through two containers of paperwork and the shredding box is full. Progress not perfection. Letting go of paperwork leaves you thinking what if the IRS one day decides to question a deduction from ten years ago? Or, if I sell the house I need to show them the electric and tax bills since I moved in the house seventeen years ago.  Yes, I do have a propensity toward hoarding but I am changing. I am telling myself that those thoughts are not realistic. I am happy to report the shredding box is full.
There is one box of papers I put to the side. That one says old personal stuff.  I opened it and found a picture of my son when he was about 6 years old. A few tears rolled down my cheeks as I wondered how the time seemed to pass so fast, he is 39 now.  I put the box gently aside and thought another day for this one.
I think that is what happens for people who save "stuff". There is an emotional connection that makes you feel if you let go of the item you are not being loyal to the person that is associated with whatever possession you donate,sell or discard.
A woman on a show one day shared her solution, which was to videotape certain possessions in her house and tell a little story about each one before she let it go. I liked that idea. Then, you always have the memory and if you make it into a compressed video file that they can view on thier IPod, so will they! :-)
Hope you all have a wonderful day,
Shashana

No comments:

Post a Comment