The Creative Me

Fall In Virginia

Fall In Virginia
Visiting Virginia in the fall and the colors so vibrant. I need to leave Florida more often!

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Buddhist Way

I had lunch today with a dear friend. We met at Chipotles, we have one that just opened nearby. I think this is one of the best restaurants around.
While we were sitting outside at a table, a bug flew under my chin, I swiped at it and it disappeared. I don't like bugs, on me or near me.  A few minutes later I felt like something was crawling in my bra. As I looked down into my blouse there was a bug crawling on my breast. Of course, I jumped, let out a yelp, shook my blouse and it seemed to have fallen out the bottom of my bra. Surprise, I still had the crawling sensation. Looking down again there it was, it was not giving up.  I reached down with my fingers to get it and it bit me as I propelled it out of my bra. My friend announced "you got it!" and pointed to where it landed.
I was busy rubbing my bitten finger and glanced down at it crawling across the pavement. After a few moments contemplation, I stood up and smashed it with my foot, no way was it going to do that to anyone else. Premeditated bug murderer, shame on me.
Now I had guilt as I looked at the dead bug, I remembered being in a room full of Buddhists many years ago. One of their precepts is not to take the life of anything living. Many, watched as the spider crawled across the floor under rows of chairs with people sitting in them. One girl, not a Buddhist, killed it. There was a collective gasp! The girl that killed the spider was a row ahead of me and I was grateful I didn't have to worry about it crawling on me.
Today, remembering their philosophy, guilt ruled my impulsive act. 
As I sat there, staring at the dead bug, I thought of reincarnation and wondered if I killed somebody I knew. I said to my friend, you know, I had an ex fiance who passed away many years ago and he loved that part of my body, I hope it wasn't Brian.The laughter began.....

1 comment:

  1. Oh Shashana, this is quite a story. It provokes one to think. It is amazing that this little bug choose a certain person to live out his life...and left a legacy to be told by that person who is afraid of bugs.
    Love to hear more comments...how about you Brian?

    ReplyDelete