The Creative Me

Fall In Virginia

Fall In Virginia
Visiting Virginia in the fall and the colors so vibrant. I need to leave Florida more often!

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Social Media Debate

I remember the first time my son introduced me to Facebook. I had lots of questions, especially regarding privacy. Months later I ventured on and created my own page. It was a delightful experience as I learned how to navigate my way around and see what my son, grand kids and friends were doing in their lives. Most of them seemed to be playing a farm game. I asked my granddaughter to teach me and I got a rolling of the eyes look and no offer to teach me.  Admittedly I had hurt feelings. I wanted a different response. especially since I spent years teaching her to bake cookies and gave driving lessons when she visited. She is the youngest of three and the least patient with me.
Sorry, I digressed from the main point. :-)
I belong to a writers group, who recently moved our meeting information from  Meetup to Facebook. Ir was a good financial decision. However, one of our members strongly objected to this form of communication. He conveyed his feelings in an interesting email stating the pitfalls of the new social media revolution and the losing of our privacy in ways most of us are unaware exist. He felt the founder of Facebook was a brat and lacked empathy for people's privacy. He went on to express he felt the young mans main concern was for monetary gain and  notoriety.
I felt some of what he presented had merit, especially regarding the loss of privacy. While some of what he expressed seemed to me to be an unwillingness to embrace change.
The best part was the interesting discourse between the member and our leader. Sharing thoughts and feelings in a intellectual and eloquent manner.
Our privacy not only on  Facebook but in so many other areas is being compromised daily if not hourly.
What are our options?
How do you feel that so much of our personal information is out there?
Is there a solution or is it just about acceptance?

No comments:

Post a Comment